Built between 1720 and 1744 by architect Balthasar Neumann, the Residenz is one of the most famous works of Baroque architecture in southern Germany alongside the palaces of Schönbrunn and Versailles. In 1981, the Residenz was the third building in Germany to be declared a World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO. For the famous, cantilevered staircase, the most important fresco painter of his time, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, created the largest continuous ceiling fresco in the world, an allegory of the four continents, between 1751 and 1753.
The Imperial Hall (Kaisersaal) opens to the east from the White Hall (Weißer Saal) and is located in the center of the garden front. It was used to receive visiting dignitaries, including the Emperors-to-be on their voyage to Frankfurt and on the return trip to Vienna. It was created in 1749-51 at enormous cost. The walls consist of stucco work marble in shades of red, white and yellow. The dome is painted in white colour, decorated with golden stucco work and also frescoes by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, showing an idealized history of the diocese of Würzburg. The Kaisersaal serves as the main venue of the Mozartfest and houses high-class orchestra concerts. Grand Duke Ferdinand III of Tuscany, who was expelled from Florence in 1806, had the Tuscany Hall built in the style of his origins during his reign of the then Grand Duchy of Würzburg, before he recieved back the rights to his duchy of Tuscany eight years later.
400 parking spaces for cars in front of the Residenz (all spots require a fee)
15 parking spaces for busses within close proximity to the Residenz (Husarenstraße)
Tram/Straßenbahn: Stop »Dom«
Bus: Stop »Residenz« or »Mainfranken-Theater«