Built between 1720 and 1744 by architect Balthasar Neumann, the Residenz is one of the most famous works of Baroque architecture in southern Germany alongside the palaces of Schönbrunn and Versailles. In 1981, the Residenz was the third building in Germany to be declared a World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO. For the famous, cantilevered staircase, the most important fresco painter of his time, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, created the largest continuous ceiling fresco in the world, an allegory of the four continents, between 1751 and 1753.
The Garden Hall (Gartensaal) opens directly onto the courtyard garden. The ceiling fresco also refers to it by portraying rich vegetation as well as the resting place of the goddess of hunting, Diana, and the god's meal.
400 parking spaces for cars in front of the Residenz (all spots require a fee)
15 parking spaces for busses within close proximity to the Residenz (Husarenstraße)
Tram/Straßenbahn: Stop »Dom«
Bus: Stop »Residenz« or »Mainfranken-Theater«